These Are My Go-To Breakfasts for Cold Mornings
When the days get shorter and the mornings get colder, a yummy, warm breakfast is just what I need to get things started off on the right foot. I do love a good smoothie, but the thought of handling ice cubes first thing on a winter morning is not something I’d enjoy. Instead, I look for options that will keep me cozy and get me ready to head out the door no matter how blustery and snowy it might be.
The following are some of my favorites. While I save the more complex ones for weekends, the majority of them are super fast and easy to make and usually won’t need more than ten minutes to make.
• Breakfast quesadilla – These can be thrown together in no time. Melted cheese with spinach and green onion is great if I’m looking for something super fast, but if I have an extra five minutes, adding a scrambled egg makes it even more filling and gives a great protein boost at the same time.
• Berry breakfast bars – On weekends, I like to take the chance to make a batch of super healthy breakfast bars with rolled oats, peanut butter, chia seeds and fruit. I bake them and once they’re cool, I store half in the freezer and the other half in a pretty tin that I can leave on my countertop. Then, I heat them in the toaster oven or microwave (they’re better in the toaster oven but the microwave is faster) to make them even better for a wintry morning.
• French toast stuffed with banana and chocolate – This is a top weekend favorite for me. I make it with whole grain bread and add walnuts, chia seeds and very dark chocolate (at least 70 percent cocoa) along with banana.
• Cinnamon-apple breakfast polenta or steel cut oats – If you’re done with the usual oatmeal, whip up some steel cut oats or polenta on the weekend and portion it out for the week, keeping it in the fridge. Flavor it with cinnamon and peeled apples (don’t forget to eat the peels while you cook, just don’t add it to the mix because it hardens up like leather). These ingredients are the real appetite suppressants, keeping you full for hours.
• Breakfast Burritos – If you’re in the mood for a much more to-go form of the breakfast quesadilla, then load up your whole grain tortilla with eggs, veggies and other yummies before wrapping it up.