Weight Loss Options When Medication Caused the Extra Pounds
If you’ve been getting bigger due to medication side effects, you may be interested in looking into weight loss options available to you. This can help you to keep your body within a healthy range, avoid worsening issues such as chronic joint pain, and stop you from having to buy new clothes as your old ones become too small.
Which Medications Cause Weight Gain?
There are many types of medication that include gaining body fat as aside effect. This can occur for a number of reasons including changes in the way the body digests or processes calories, swelling, and increased appetite, among others. Drugs notorious for this type of effect include pain killers, antidepressants, anti anxiety medications and many others.
Since the odds are that you’ve been prescribed the medication you’re taking for a very important reason – possibly a life-saving one – it’s not as though you can simply stop using the drug among your weight loss options. Therefore, it’s a good idea to find out what else you can do to counteract this side effect or prevent it from happening in the first place.
Weight Loss Options When Mediations have Fat Gain Side Effects
The following are some of the best weight loss options to help you to overcome the added pounds from your medication. When in doubt, always speak with your doctor to make sure the choices you make are safe and appropriate for you.
- Change medications – Talk to your doctor about your struggle with side effects. You may find that an alternative drug will let you return to your previous size.
- Discuss your dosage – In some cases, one of your weight loss options may be to reduce your dosage. Naturally, you should do this only under your doctor’s guidance. Otherwise you could place the effectiveness of the drug at risk.
- Change what you eat – If your appetite has increased, change the balance of what you eat. Consume the largest portions of nutrient dense, low-calorie foods. Eat lots of fiber to fill yourself up and control the portions of your higher calorie dishes.
- Keep up your exercise – Boosting your physical activity may help to overcome weight gain side effects associated with certain medications.
- Drink water – Staying hydrated can provide powerful appetite busting effects and can be one of your easiest weight loss options. At the same time, you’ll keep your metabolism humming and will enjoy many other advantages of remaining hydrated.